Aloo is potato and Dum is a type of cooking. The dish can be made either with raw potatoes or boiled ones. The latter however absorbs less oil and is a healthier option. The former cooks along with the gravy taking in a large amount of oil.
Boiled potatoes 1 cup
Onions 1 cup
Tomatoes 1 cup
Fresh coriander leaves
Chilli powder (Kashmiri)
1. In a wok, heat oil and splutter cumin seeds.
2. Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir.
3. Add the onions and tomatoes.
4. Sprinkle with turmeric and chilli powder.
5. Fry until the mixture becomes dry (until the oil separates).
6. Add the aloo with a little bit of water.
7. Add the salt.
8. Cover with lid and allow it to simmer.
9. Before removing from fire, add garam masala and coriander leaves.
10. Serve hot with katchoris, phulkas, rotis and parathas.