Left-over idlis can be used the next day for making a delicious tiffin. You make the regular upma using idli has your core ingredient. It takes about 10 minutes to make and holds you up until lunch time.
Left-over idlis ( 4 or 5 pieces)
Finely chopped onions 1 cup
Shredded cabbage 1 cup
Fresh peas 1/2 cup
Chopped carrot 1/2 cup
Finely chopped coriander
1. Take the left-over idlis and chop them up (or crumble it). Alternatively, you may also cut them into small pieces.
2. In a wok, heat oil and splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add the ginger juliennes, green chillies and curry leaves.
3. Add onions and saute until they turn a light pink.
4. Add the rest of the veggies and saute. Sprinkle water to avoid burning and cover with a lid for a couple of minutes.
5. Remove the lid and stir once.
6. Add turmeric, chilli, salt and mix well.
7. Now add the idli pieces and mix. Cook for 5-8 minutes.
8. Remove from stove. The idli-upma is ready.
9. For that extra punch, squeeze lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot witha spicy chutney or raita.