Traditionally, Avial requires sweet pumpkin, pumpkin, snake gourd, potatoes and drumstick. Alternatively, you may use carrots, potatoes, peas, sprouts and onions. It takes only 10 minutes to make this dish.
Sweet pumpkin cubed
Drumstick 5-6 pieces
Carrots (cut circular)
For the paste
Fresh coconut grate
1. Steam the vegetables until they become soft.
2. Set aside and allow it to cool.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the curds and the dry paste.
4. Add asafoetida and salt.
5. Add the vegetables to the curd and mix. (Take care not to mix the vegetables with the curd when it hot. It is possible that the curd will disintegrate.)
6. Dip the curry leaves in warm coconut oil and add to the dish.
7. Add a spoon of coconut oil around the dish.
8. Close with a lid for a couple of minutes. The coconut oil along with the curry leaves gives out a lip-smacking aroma.