Bhindi Masala (Gravy)
This was the first time I was trying out the Bhindi Masala (Gravy) recipe. So I searched for a couple of variations online and went with my little twist to the tale.
Long sliced okra
Finely chopped onion 1 cup
Finely chopped tomato 1 cup
Cumin 1 tsp
Turmeric ½ tsp
Red chilli powder 2tsps
Garam masala 1tsp
Finely chopped coriander
Sour buttermilk ¼ cup
Green chilli 1-2pcs
Grated coconut ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Cooking oil 1tbsp
1. Grind the grated coconut, green chilli, saunf and cumin.
2. In a vessel, add the okra. To this add, turmeric, chilli powder, and garam masala and mix it well.
3. In a wok, add cooking oil, and splutter cumin. Add asafoetida, and the ginger-garlic paste. Saute well.
4. Add the onions and saute until it turns a golden brown.
5. Add the okra and saute for 10 mins.
6. Add the gravy to the mixture and dilute it using butter milk.
7. Add salt to taste.
8. Cover the dish with a lid and allow the okra with gravy to cook on high flame.
9. Turn it after 15 mins to ensure that the okra cooks evenly in the gravy.
10. Once it is cooked well, add the tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes and take it off the fire.
11. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve the bhindi masala gravy with hot rotis or bread.
To get rid of the stickiness in the okra, add either lime juice, or sour butter milk, or tomatoes. Cover with lid and allow the okra to cook on high flame.