Spinach Masiyal (Gravy)
The Spinach Masiyal can be served as an accompaniment with breads and crackers. It gets its tangy taste from the tamarind water and the tomato puree added to the pureed spinach.
Spinach 1 bunch
Fried Onions 1 cup
Cooking oil 1 tsp
Jeera and mustard seeds 1tbsp
Asafoetida (hing) 1tsp
Urad dal 1tsp
Chilli powder 1tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves
1. Blanch the spinach in water with a little salt.
2. Allow the spinach to cool down and puree it along with the fried onions and ginger julienne.
3. In a wok, heat oil and splutter jeera-mustard seeds, red chillies, ginger-garlic paste and urad dal.
4. Add the onions and a little ghee. Fry until the raw smell disappears.
5. Pour the tomato puree and allow it to cook.
6. When the tomato gravy begins to boil, pour the spinach gravy and allow it to cook.
7. Add turmeric, chilli powder, and salt to taste.
8. Before taking it off the fire, add the fried tofu, and chopped tomatoes.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.