Flattened rice with Mixed Vegetables
This is my best recommendation when you are home alone and you are not in the mood to get baked in the kitchen heat, but have to feed your stomach and tongue some lip-smacking dinner. My best friend loves this dish whenever she is home visiting my family.
Flattened rice is also known as Poha in Hindi, and is served as a favorite snack or meal in Maharashtra.
IngredientsA bowl of flattened rice
Finely chopped onions
Finely chopped capsicum or bell pepper
Finely chopped potatoes
Finely chopped tomatoes
Finely grated carrot (optional)
Finely chopped green onions
Finely chopped coriander
Jeera 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Juice of lemon
Hot water/Cold water
- Wash the flattened rice well in a bowl of cold water at least twice until you remove the dust.
- Drain the water and leave the flattened rice in a bowl. Sprinkle warm water and cover with lid for 10 minutes until it becomes soft.
- In a wok, heat oil. When it is hot, splutter jeera seeds, hing, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste, and onions.
- Once the onions have become a nice golden brown, add the rest of the vegetables except the tomatoes.
- Add the spices to the vegetables and allow them to cook well. Cover with lid to allow them to cook faster and evenly.
- Just before you remove the wok from the fire, add the tomatoes and turn once. Remove from fire before the tomatoes become too soft and soggy. Mix once more.
- Add a squeeze of lime and turn once more.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.