Tofu in Tomato Gravy
Dev's mom makes some amazing dishes, which have a lot of influence of Singaporean cooking by virtue of having lived there for a while. Her tofu in tomato gravy was simply out of the world and one of the best tofu dishes I have tasted in a long time.
Fresh tofu cubes
Finely chopped tomatoes 2 cups
Finely chopped onions 1 cup
3 or 4 dry red chilies (depending on how spicy you want it)
Chilli paste (sambal oelek)
Sweet soya sauce
Oil for cooking
1. Grind the tomatoes, onions, and the dry red chillies into a fine paste.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Add a tablespoon of the samba oelek chilli paste or more depending on your spice buds. (If you dont have this chilli paste, you can add more dry red chillies and make a paste of it.)
4. Allow it to simmer for a while.
5. Add the fine paste of tomato-onion and red chillies.
6. Allow it to cook well until the raw smell is lost and the flavor takes over.
7. Add a few tea spoons of sweet soya sauce.
8. Add salt to taste.
9. Throw in the tofu and saute.
Serve hot with some lovely Indian bread. Trust me, its simply divine.