Banana Stem Morkozhambu
Banana stem or Vazhai Thandu (in Tamil) has excellent curative properties. It is believed to help you lose weight and remove kidney stones.
Banana Stem - Medium size
Buttermilk 1/2 cup
Thick curd 1 cup
Fresh grated coconut 1 or 2 tbsps
Green Chilli 1 or 2
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil or coconut oil 1 tsp
1. Remove the outer layers of the stem until you are left with the tender stem.
2. Cut them into small circular pieces and remove the fibre in between the slices.
3. Chop them into small pieces.
4. Put the pieces in a bowl of buttermilk for a few minutes. This helps you retain the stem colour.
5. Drain the pieces and cook them in boiling water.
6. Grind chilli, cumin seeds, and the grated coconut to a smooth paste.
7. In a wok, heat the oil and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
8. Add the paste and the boiled stem pieces and mix well.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Beat the curd well and add it to the mixture.