The Medhu Vadai or the Ulundu Vadai is a household favorite. Ever since I got into cooking seriously, I have been spending time in the kitchen with mom learning these authentic dishes that feature regularly on such occasions.
Whole Urad dal 1 cup
Pepper Corns 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chillies 2-3 pcs
Raw rice 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
1. Wash the urad dal thoroughly and soak for three hours in water.The quantity of water should be good to soak the dal well.
2. Drain the water completely and transfer it to a blender.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients except the salt and curry leaves, and grind to a smooth paste, taking care not to add too much water.
4. Transfer the batter to a container and add salt to taste. Mix well.
5. Add curry leaves.
6. Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying the vadai.
7. Take a polythene sheet (a square sheet) and wet it.
8. Take a small scoop of batter and place it on the sheet.
9. Pat it to a round shape and drop it carefully in the hot oil. Remember to check if the oil is hot enough to deep fry.
10. Turn the vadas over medium flame to ensure both sides are cooked well to a golden brown shade.
11. Remove from the pan and drain the oil in tissue paper.
Serve hot with chutney or sambhar.