Mixed Vegetable Sambhar with Sprouted Fenugreek
The Mixed Vegetable sambhar is excellent for health. The sprouted fenugreek and pumpkin is great for diabetics. This is a favourite in the house and my mom makes it often.
Medium sized tomato 2
Toor Dal 1/2 cup
Sprouted fenugreek 1/2 cup
Chopped radish 1 cup
Chopped carrots 1 cup
Yellow pumpkin 1/2 cup
Spinach 1 cup
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Sambhar powder 1 tbsp
Jaggery 1 tsp
For the Sambhar Powder, fry the following ingredients and dry grind.
Dhaniya 2 tbsps
Bengal gram 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Red chillies 6
Grated coconut 1 tbsp
1. In a heavy bottomed vessel, boil the vegetables with just enough water.
2. Boil the tomatoes with the tamarind and salt until the mixture loses its raw smell.
3. Cool it and extract the pulp.
4. Add the jaggery.
5. Add the pulp to the boiled vegetables.
6. Add tumeric, sambhar powder, and cooked toor dal. Mix well.
7. In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek, 1 red chilly, powdered hing, few sprigs of curry leaves.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steaming hot rice and pappads.
If the sambhar is thin, dissolve a tea spoon of rice flour in 1/4 cup of water and add it to the boiling sambhar.