Payasam (Dessert made with Lentils)
Amavasya has an important standing in Hindu religion. The day is devoted to the worship of ancestors for the prosperity and well being of the family. Since Aadi is the first month of dakshinayana, the first amavasya is celebrated with great fervour. The payasam and the medhu vadai are made at home on this ocassion.
Green gram 1 cup
Bengal gram 1 tbsp
Jaggery 1 1/2 cup
Cardamom 3-4 pods
Cashews and raisins
Ghee 1 tbsp
1. Pressure cook both lentils together with just enough water.
2. In a heavy bottomed vessel, dissolve the jaggery in hot water.
3. Filter the jaggery water and boil it over medium flame.
4. Mash the lentils and add it to the jaggery syrup.
5. Stir it well to a smooth consistency.
6. Allow it to boil for a few minutes till the syrup and the lentils blend well and gives out a lovely aroma.
7. Add ghee and allow the dessert to cook for a few minutes.
8. Remove from fire and add cardamom powder.
9. Fry the raisins in ghee and add it to the dessert.
10. Add milk to dilute the dessert if it is too thick and sweet.