Yellow Split Moong Dal with Spinach
The moong dal is not only a healthy option, but also the most easiest to cook, either in a microwave or a pressure cooker.
Yellow split moong dal 2 cups
Spinach 1 cup
Chopped onions 1/2 cup
Chopped tomatoes 1/2 cup
Garam masala 2 tsps
Chili powder 1 tsp
Finely chopped ginger
Salt to taste
Juice of lime 2 tsps
1. Pressure cook the moong dal with enough water to cover the dal or microwave it for 5 mins, taking it out at half time to stir it.
Note: When it cooks, it rises to the top and overflows sometimes.
2. In a wok, heat oil and spluter cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
3. Add the onions and let it caramalize.
4. Add the tomatoes and spinach one by one and let them cook.
5. Add the spices including the salt and saute well.
6. Pour into the dal and stir once.
7. Add juice of lime for that tangy taste.
8. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with ghee rice.