Spicy Chick Peas in Tomato Gravy (Chole)
The chole is another easy dish to prepare and works very well with bread. You can either work with the chick peas alone or cook it in tomato gravy. I used canned chick peas. However, if you like, you can buy the uncooked variety, soak it for a few hours, and pressure cook it.
Canned chick peas 1
Finely chopped onions 1 cup
Stewed tomatoes 2-3
Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
Cinnamon sticks 2
Finely chopped ginger
Finely chopped garlic
Finely chopped green chillies
Garam masala 2-3 tsps
Chilli powder 2 tsps
Turmeric 1 tsp
Coriander for garnish
Salt to taste
Juice of lime
1. Wash the canned chick peas thoroughly and pressure cook it to one whistle to soften it.
2. Puree the stewed tomatoes.
3. Heat oil in a wok and splutter cumin, cinnamon, hing, ginger-garlic paste, ginger and garlic pieces along with the chillies.
4. Saute well and pour the tomato puree into the wok.
5. Allow it to cook well until the spices and the puree fuse well.
6. Add the garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder and saute.
7. Once the spices cook, add the cooked chick peas.
8. Add salt to taste and cook on low flame for ten minutes.
9. Once the dish cools a litle, add the juice of lime.
10. Garnish with chopped coriander.