Mixed Vegetable Sambhar
This was the first time I was trying out the Mixed Vegetable Sambhar. While Sridevi expressed her supreme confidence in the chef, I was consumed with self-doubt. I wanted to treat Sri to a complete full filling south Indian meal to give her the extra boost of energy for her medical exam prep work. Since week days, we hardly eat wholesome food, the weekend seemed like the best option to experiment. The sambhar turned out just perfect.
IngredientsChopped mixed vegetables 2.5 cups
Tuvar Dal 1 cup
Tamarind extract 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Dry red chilles 2
Sambhar powder 1 tbsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cooking oil 1 tbsp
Method1. Take a ball of tamarind and let it sit in hot water for sometime until the juice is extracted. Strain the juice and set aside.
2. Pressure cook the tuvar dal by adding 2 cups of water to 1 cup of dal.
3. In a wok, heat oil and splutter mustard, fenugreek and red chillies.
4. Add the mixed vegetables and saute until they cook a bit.
5. Add the tamarind extract and sambhar powder
6. Allow the mixture to boil until the raw smell evaporates and the tamarind thickens.7. Add the tuvar dal.
8. Add salt to taste.
9. Let the sambhar boil on low flame for ten minutes.
Serve sambhar with hot rice and poppadoms.