I decided to try a variation of the dal palak for Friday dinner. Sri was appreciative of the simplicity of the dish, not to forget the compelling aroma and flavour that made it hard to resist.
Fresh spinach leaves (2-3 cups)
Chopped onions 1 cup
Tomato puree 2 tbsps
Dry red chillies 3-4pcs
Green chillies 1-2 pcs
Tuvar dal 1 cup
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Black pepper 1 tsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Juice of lime
1. Wash the spinach (palak) and tuvar dal thoroughly and pressure cook with onions, cumin, green chillies, ginger julienne for 4-5 whistles.
2. In a wok, heat cooking oil and splutter cumin, mustard, red chillies, channa and urad dal along with the ginger garlic paste.
3. Add the tomato puree and let it cook with the spices for a few minutes on medium flame.
4. Pour the pressure cooked lentils and spinach into this wok and stir well.
5. Add the spices with the hing.
6. Cover with lid and allow it cook until the spices and the dal palak have blended.
7. Remove from the stove and garnish with juice of lime.