Kovakkai Curry (Ivy Gourd)
The vegetable's low glycemix index makes it an excellent option for diabetics. It tastes best when it is fried, nevertheless there are healthier ways to cook the ivy gourd. Remember to pick the tender ones from the market place, because they give out the best flavour. Since it takes time to cook, you can either pressure cook the vegetable or you can cook it on low flame for a longer period.
Kovakai 1/2 kg
1. Chop the kovakai pieces either lengthwise or as circular discs.
2. In a kadai, heat oil and splutter curry leaves, urad and channa dal, mustard seeds and red chillies.
3. Add the kovakai and saute once.
4. Add the spices and toss well.
5. Sprinkle some water and cover with lid and cook on medium flame.