I came to New Jersey to catch up with my childhood friend for her wedding anniversary. We went to the Bridgewater Venkateswara temple and headed to Dosa Grill for lunch. So today, we decided to have a lovely home cooked meal. I decided to teach her the Vazhakai Podimas, a spicy and delicious Sunday special.
Two large raw bananas
Shredded coconut (optional)
Juice of lime
Dry red chillies
1. Halve the raw bananas, cut the stem and pressure cook them with their skin for one whistle along with turmeric and salt .
2. Peel the skin and mash or grate the bananas.
3. Roast the dry powder ingredients and make a dry powder.
4. In a wok, heat oil and splutter mustard, cumin, dry red chillies, chenna and urad dal and curry leaves.
5. Add the grated bananas and add hing, turmeric, chilli powder and the dry powder.
6. Turn it well and let it cook for a few minutes.
7. Remove from stove and garnish with juice of lime and shredded coconut.