Roasted Okra in Spiced Tomato Gravy
After almost ten months of missing my beloved Okra (Ladies Finger), I finally decided to buy a pack at the Indian store on 69th street. It was such a pleasurable dinner served with hot spicy moong dal and rotis.
Okra 1/4 kg
Chopped tomatoes 1 cup
Ginger-garlic paste 1tbsp
Cumin 1 tbsp
Garam masala 2 tsps
Chili powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Red chillies 2 pcs
Sambal Olek (Red chilli paste) 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Make a puree of tomatoes and ginger julienne.
2. In a pan, heat oil and splutter cumin, red chillies and ginger-garlic paste.
3. Add the okra and toss well.
4. Add the spices and mix well so that the okra is well coated with the spice mixture.
5. Allow it to cook and roast for 15 minutes on high flame.
6. Pour the tomato puree just enough for the okra to cook and absorb it.
7. Add the red chilli paste and salt to taste. (You can also add olive oil for taste)
8. Let the okra cook until the gravy has been absorbed and the okra has roasted well.
Serve hot with moong dal and rotis.