Spicy Brinjal Potato Curry
Terrisa had left me a large quantity of veggies which she had no intention of cooking. Since it was lying in the fridge for a while, I was ceased by a sudden inspiration after my evening walk and supper to make something of the leftover veggies. The trick is to retain the crunch of the potatoes with the softness of the brinjal on a spicy chilli base, makes an addictive combination.
Chopped potatoes 2 cups
Chopped brinjal 2 cups
Chopped red onions 1 cup
Sambal Olekh or chilli paste 1 tbsp
Dry red chillies 2-3 pcs
Chilli powder 2 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Dash of lime
Sugar 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cooking oil 1 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a tava and splutter mustard and cumin seeds and red chilli.
2. Add the onions and saute until they turn pink.
3. Add the brinjal and potatoes.
4. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sambal olekh and toss well.
5. Add the turmeric, chilli powder and salt to taste.
6. Add a dash of sugar.
7. Add juice of lime and mix the curry well.
Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rotis or rice or even better, as a sandwich stuffing.