Butternut Squash-Brocolli Curry
A member of the Gourd family, I fell in love with the Butternut squash during the Fall season. In my enthusiasm, I bought a huge squash which was intimidating to cook and hence sat in the fridge for a couple of weeks. When I finally decided to run it under the knife, it sat there sturdy while the struggled to cut it cup into cubes. The squash is rich in dietary fibre, antioxidants such as beta carotene and vitamin C including phytonutrients. It is low in calories and is an excellent option for managing weight loss programs.
Butternut squash 2 cups
Chopped red onions 1 cup
Brocolli Florets 1 cup
Chopped tomato 1 cup
Cumin 2 tsps
Green chillies 2
Ginger-garlic paste 2 tsps
Garam masala 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Chill powder 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar 1 tsp
Cooking oil 1 tsp
Water 1/2 cup
1. In a wok, heat oil. Splutter cumin and green chillies.
2. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
3. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute well.
4. Add the broccoli florets and toss. Allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the butternut squash and toss well.
6. Add turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder and salt.
7. Add water and mix well.
8. Cover with lid and let the vegetables cook for 15 minutes.
9. Add the tomatoes and stir once.
10. Cook for another 10 minutes and remove from fire.
Note: The butternut squash cooks easily, usually under 20 minutes. So check if the squash has become tender before you take it off the pan.
Serve hot with rice or rotis.