Indian Milk Pudding (Kheer)
I had promised to make the Milk Pudding for Teddy and his parents, Judy and Larry. You have the baked version made with egg and of course, you have the Indian version which I followed from fellow blogger, Chef In You. Teddy had tasted the earlier version, but nevertheless assured me that his parents including himself will enjoy the Kheer.
Basmati rice 1 cup
1% Reduced Fat Milk 2 cups
Sugar 1/4 cup
Cardamom 2-3 pods
Raisins, Cashews and Pistas 1 cup
Ghee 2 tbsps
1. In a non-stick pan, heat the ghee over low flame.
2. Wash the basmati rice and roast it in the pan.
3. Add the milk and sugar to the rice. Stir well.
4. Make sure you keep stirring on medium flame so that the milk doesn't get scalded and spoil the pudding.
5. Heat the ghee and fry the raisins and cardamom.
6. When the milk thicken and reduces to half, remove from stove. Pour the raisins with the ghee over the pudding.
Serve hot or cold.
Note: Teddy and his parents like the pudding after it is set, almost looking like a thick block of cake. If you like to dilute the pudding, stir in a little milk.