After a hiatus from the kitchen, I had the opportunity to yet again try my culinary skills. Mom has taken a break to be with her darling grandson and I obviously had to take over the house for the interim period. I finished shopping for veggies and craved for ridge gourd curry. I have saved the peel for making a spicy chutney tomorrow. Ridge gourd is one of my favourite vegetables among many others.
Ridge gourd 1 pc
Chopped onions 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes 1 cup
Asafoetida 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves, a few sprigs
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Mom's magic curry powder 2 tsps
Salt to taste
Juice of lime 2 tsp
Cooking oil 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
1. Peel and deseed the ridge gourd. Cut it into even pieces.
2. In a wok, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, cumin, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
3. Add the onions and saute until they turn a lovely pink.
4. Add the tomatoes and toss. Cover with lid to allow the veggies to cook evenly.
5. Add the ridge gourd pieces and saute once.
6. Add turmeric and curry powder and mix well.
7. Add salt.
8. Cover with lid for 10 minutes on medium flame until the ridge gourd cooks.
9. Garnish with juice of lime and coriander.
Serve hot with rotis or cumin rice.