Yellow Pumpkin Soup
I celebrated Christmas by making Yellow Pumpkin soup. Rather, I was making the most of my time off, cooking away and cleaning up the fridge before I take off for my new year break. This is a delicious, hearty soup; so it can weigh you down.
Chopped yellow pumpkin 2 cups
Chopped spring onions 2 cups
Chopped pink onions 1 cup
Chopped green chillies 4 pcs
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Asafoetida 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper 1-2 tsp
Juice of lime 1-2tsps
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Milk 1/2 cup
Fried cashews and almonds (optional)
Fried bread pieces or croutons for garnish
1. In a wok, heat olive oil and fry the cumin seeds.
2. Add the green chillies, asafoetida, spring onions and pink onions and saute.
3. Add the chopped pumpkin pieces and mix well.
4. Cover with lid for 10 minutes until the pumpkin becomes tender.
5. Allow it to cool and then pour the ingredients into a blender.
6. Puree the sauteed vegetables until they turn into a thick yellow paste.
7. In a round bottomed vessel, add olive oil and saute some pink onions until they are deep fried. Set aside.
8. In the same vessel, boil the soup. When you see the first boil, add milk and stir.
Note: If the soup is too thick, dilute it with a little water.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. In a wok, heat some ghee and fry the cashews and almonds. Pour over the soup.
11. Remove the soup from the stove, garnish fresh ground pepper and stir once.
12. Add a dash of lime to give the soup a lovely zing.
13. Serve hot with croutons.