Curry Leaves-Horsegram Powder
After a long time, I got to relive the sheer joy of mixing hot ghee rice with the curry leaves-horsegram powder my mom had made. The proportions were perfect and the coarse powder mixed with a little sesame oil made for a fabulous Sunday lunch. Curry leaves offer tremendous health benefits. It helps contain diabetes, prevents hair fall and ensures your hair is a lustrous black. Its rich iron content is also excellent for your vision. For women, it helps in the upkeep of the uterus and proper functioning of the menstrual cycle. Horsegram prevents weight gain, lowers blood pressure and removes kidney stones.
Fresh curry leaves 1cup
Horsegram 1 tsp
Urad dal 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies 5-6 pcs
Tamarind- medium size ball
Salt to taste
Cooking oil 2 tsp
1. Heat cooking oil in a wok.
2. Splutter mustard seeds, asafoetida, horsegram and urad dal. Roast them until they turn a golden brown.
3. Add red chillies, curry leaves and roast them for another 10 minutes.
4. Add the ball of tamarind and saute the mix again.
5. Allow the mixture to cool.
6. Dry grind in a blender. You can grind it coarse or fine depending on your taste.
7. Add salt to taste and blend it again for a minute.
You will enjoy it best when mixed with hot rice and sesame oil, accompanied by pappad.