Seppakazhangu Roast (Colocasia or Arbi)
We never prepare any dishes using root vegetables other than the infamous potatoes, which is commonly consumed in most households. However, my afternoon luncheon sessions with my group of friends inspired me to try the colocasia roast for a change. I borrowed this recipe from a dear friend of mine, who willingly and happily shared his mom's recipe. Needless to say, the end result was mind blowing.
Colocasia or seppankazhangu 1/4 kg
Gingely oil 2-3 tsbps
Turmeric 1-2 tsps
Sambhar powder 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Besan or gram flour 2-3 tsbps
Asafoetida 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1. In a wok, add 1 tbsp of gingely oil and let it warm up well.
2. Splutter mustard seeds and add the colocasia.
3. Add turmeric. Saute it for 10 minutes over medium flame until it becomes mushy and transfer to a bowl.
4. Sprinkle gram flour generously so that the individual pieces are well coated.
5. In a wok, add 2 tbsps of gingely oil and when it is hot enough, add the colocasia.
6. Add hing, chilli powder and sambhar powder. Saute.
7. Allow it to roast on medium flame until the pieces turn a golden brown and leaves a delicious crust.