Carrot-Tomato Dip

Its been an absolutely hectic time for me. I was travelling, had to take time to attend to a host of things and all that frenzy kept me away from my lovely blogger pals. So I am glad to be back once again, albeit after a long time. Off late, I have taken to making chutneys and other varieties of dips. Mom's out of town. So I have been making idlis and chutneys since it takes the least amount of time when you are getting ready to work. Inspired by the carrot chutney during one of my travels, I decided to give this a little healthy twist by adding other tasty elements.

Ingredients
Carrot 1-2 cups
Tomato 1/2 cup
Onions 1 cup
Curry leaves 4-5 sprigs
Mustard seeds 2 tsp
Asafoetida 2 tsp
Black urad dal 2 tsp
Green chillies 3-4 pcs
Finely chopped ginger 1 tsp
Juice of lime 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Cooking oil 2-3 tsp

Method
1. In a wok, heat cooking oil. Splutter mustard seeds, chillies, ginger, curry leaves, urad dal, asafoetida and saute well.
2. Add the onions and allow it to cook to a lovely pink.
3. Add the chopped carrot and tomato.
4. Saute well and cover with lid for a couple of minutes till the vegetables become tender.
5. Add salt to taste. 
6. Mix well and transfer to a blender.
7. Add the juice of lime to this mix. Mix well.
8. Allow the mix to cool down for a few minutes and blend it to a fine paste.

Serve fresh with idlis, dosas or just as an accompanying dip.

Comments

Popular Posts