Bottlegourd and Lentil Gravy
This is one of my favourite recipes, which is filling, tasty and very easy to put together. In tamizh, the bottlegourd is known as Surakkai and kootu means to add other vegetables and lentils. So the surakkai kootu comprises diced gourd, lentils and spices.
Diced bottlegourd 2 cups
Moong dal 1/4 cup
Toovar dal 1/2 cup
Urad dal 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1-2 tsps
Asafoetida 1 tsp
Chopped green chillies 1-2 pcs
Grated coconut 1 tbsp
Cooking oil 1 tbsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Sambhar powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Pressure cook the moong dal and toovar dal separately for 4-5 whistles respectively.
2. Separately cook the chopped gourd till it becomes tender.
3. In a wok, heat cooking oil and splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and coconut in the same order.
4. Saute for a minute or two.
5. Add the cooked lentils and gourd along with turmeric and sambhar powder.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Cook on medium flame till the kootu gives out a lovely aroma as the spices cook.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve warm with rice, rotis or pooris.