This is a traditional Punjabi-Christian preparation. This recipe makes around 40-45 pieces. It is a contribution from AFJ. She noted down this recipe which, she found in a magazine. However, we dont like saunf and the recipe is made without it, but feel free to include it should you like the flavour.
Atta Wheat flour 500gms
Finely cut dry coconut pieces 50gms
Chopped cashews 50gms
Fennel seeds/Saunf 15gms
Desi ghee 3 tbsps
Salt 1/4 tsp
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Refined oil for frying
1. Take grated jaggery in a bowl.
2. Add enough warm water to this, just enough to cover the jaggery.
3. Once the jaggery has softened, mix it smoothly until and ensure that there are no lumps.
4. In another bowl, add atta, desi ghee, salt and baking powder.
5. Mix well and add the jaggery water to make a thick batter.
6. Add coconut, cashews and fennel seeds to this batter.
7. Heat oil to a moderate temperature in a wok for frying. The temperature ensures that the gulgule gets cooked in the inside as well.
8. With a wet hand, scoop batter from the bowl and drop it into the oil like pakodis or fritters.9. They will come up to the surface, stir gently and cook until the gugules turn a golden brown.