Mixed Vegetable Rice
The second dish that I made for my bro-SIL was the mixed vegetable rice spiced with herbs.
Cooked Basmati rice or brown rice 1 1/2 cups
Broccoli florets 1 cup
Sliced onion 1 cup
Diced potatoes 1 cup
Long slit beans 1 cup
Diced carrot 1 cup
Grated cheddar cheese (optional) 1 cup
Ghee 1 tbsp
Asafoetida (hing) 1 tsp
Cloves, Cinnamon, Cardamom pods, and Star Anise
Finely chopped Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1. Boil the vegetables in salt water and drain.
2. In a tava, heat olive oil and add the Cloves, Cinnamon, Cardamom pods, and Star Anise. Saute well.
3. Add the onions and cook it until it turns a golden brown.
4. Saute until the onions turn a golden brown.
5. Add the rest of the vegetables and toss.
6. Add garam masala, hing, chilly powder, and salt to taste. Toss well.
7. Add the Basmati rice and turn well until the spices mix evenly.
8. Add ghee, fried cashews and toss.
9. Sprinkle the grated cheese and cover with a lid so that the cheese melts. Take it off the fire.
10. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves before serving.