Green leafy vegetables should feature in your cooking, atleast twice a week. I love spinach and the pureed version spiced up with herbs is simply mouth watering. This vegetable ranks high in calcium, vitamin A, C, folic acid and other nutrients that help prevent cancer. So let's go the Pop-Eye way and have a little Spinach Party. I picked up the Spinach Soup and Masiyal recipes from the Deccan Chronicle, but have added my own little variations.
Spinach 1 bunch
Finely cut onions 1 cup
Ginger-garlic paste 1tbsp
Green chilli finely cut 1pc
Corn flour 1tbsp
Milk ½ cup
Pinch of Asafoetida
Olive oil 1bsp
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean the spinach and blanch it in water with a little salt. Cool the cooked spinach and puree.
2. In a wok, add a little olive oil, fry the onions with ghee until the onion turns a lovely golden.
3. Add the ginger-garlic paste and pinch of asafoetida.
4. Add the spinach puree and let it cook.
5. Mix the corn powder with milk and add water to bring it to a smooth consistency.
6. Add this corn-milk mix slowly to the spinach puree and keep stirring the soup to ensure that there are no lumps.
7. Let it boil. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
8. For the garnish, in a wok, add a little ghee and fry spring onions, hing, ginger juliennes, fresh tofu cubes.