Shabana and I decided to make the Dal Tadka for our Saturday lunch. The plan was for me to make the dough for the rotis to accompany the dal tadka. We looked up the recipe on YouTube, but I added my own twist to the dal with my favourite spice mix, which gave it that little bit of magic.
Tuvar dal 1 cup
Moong dal 1 cup
Channa dal 1 cup
Panch poran (Mix of 5 spices)
Chopped curry leaves
Chopped green chillies
Juice of lime
1. Wash the three lentils (dal) and soak it for a few hours.
2. Pressure cook the lentils for 5-6 whistles and allow it to cool.
3. Mash the lentils with a whisk to blend the lentils and give it a smooth consistency.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, hing, turmeric and chilli powder to the lentils and let the lentils boil for 10 minutes. This removes the raw smell from the lentils and allows the spices to cook.
5. In a wok, heat cooking oil and splutter panch poran (add extra mustard seeds if you required), chillies, onions, garlic, ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves.
6. Pour it into the lentils and mix.
7. Garnish with juice of lime and chopped coriander.
Serve hot dal tadka with rotis.